Social Security Disability Benefits for Cystic Fibrosis
Cystic fibrosis (CF) is a disease that causes a build-up of mucus in your lungs and pancreas. It can lead to lung infections and you may have difficulty breathing if you have CF. You symptoms may include high blood pressure, pulmonary hypertension and extreme fits of coughing that produces mucus.
In some cases, CF can be so severe it affects your digestive tract and prevents you from getting proper nutrition from the food you eat. Another common symptom for those with CF is sleep apnea.
If you suffer from cystic fibrosis and are unable to work, give us a call for a free case evaluation.
Proving Cystic Fibrosis to the Social Security Administration (SSA)
The Social Security Administration understands the seriousness of CF and may approve your claim for benefits if you have frequent lung infections and/or poor lung function. But this must be proven with medical tests.
You must have one of the following to qualify for disability benefits.
- Chronic Infections: Your cystic fibrosis leads to increased bacterial infections at least once every six months that require antibacterial treatment – either by nebulizer or intravenously.
- Poor Breathing Test: These tests, known as spirometry tests, must show that you have an FEV1 (how much air you can exhale in one second) of between 1.45 and 2.05 (depending on how tall you are).
- Pulmonary Exacerbations: You must have recurring episodes of pneumonia, bronchitis, respiratory failure or coughing up blood. These episodes must occur a minimum of six times a year.
In addition to these situations, if your doctor has told you need to take frequent breaks at work; not to lift more than a certain amount of weight; to avoid dust and/or fumes; or that you need weekly nebulization, you may have a claim. You’ll only qualify if these situations affect the types of jobs you can do.
To help prove your cystic fibrosis to SSA, call our Social Security Disability lawyers at 312-561-3546.
Other Common Impairments We See In Our Chicago Area Clients:
- Anemia »
- Ankylosing Spondylitis »
- Asperger Syndrome »
- Asthma and COPD »
- Autism »
- Cancer »
- Carpal Tunnel »
- Chronic Fatigue »
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) »
- Crohn’s Disease »
- CRPS »
- Degenerative Joint Disease (DJD) »
- Diabetes »
- Fibromyalgia »
- Headaches »
- Hepatitis C and Liver Disease »
- Hidradenitis Suppurativa »
- HIV/AIDS »
- Huntington’s Disease »
- Ischemic Heart Disease »
- Lupus »
- Mental Conditions »
- Multiple Sclerosis »
- Muscular Dystrophy »
- Obesity »
- OCD »
- Osteoarthritis »
- Personality Disorders »
- Psoriasis »
- Rheumatoid Arthritis »
- Sarcoidosis »
- Seizures »
- Stroke »