Chicago Disability Benefits for Disabled Adult Children FAQs

Chicago Disability Benefits for Disabled Adult Children FAQs
If you have questions about disabled adult child SSDI benefits, don't worry. Get answers from Nash Disability Law.
Chicago Disability Benefits for Disabled Adult Children FAQs

Who qualifies for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) as a disabled adult child?

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has several qualifications you must meet to qualify for disability benefits as a disabled adult child:

  • You’re 18 or older.
  • You’re not married and have never been married.
  • You’re not working, and have never worked and earned a dollar amount SSA considers to be gainful.
  • One of your parents paid enough Social Security taxes through work and is deceased, or now receives Social Security Disability or retirement benefits.
  • You have medical conditions that have made it impossible for you to work since before age 22.

If you have questions about how disabled adult child disability benefits apply to you, contact us at Nash Disability Law.

Get Help Now! »

What happens if I get married?

You cannot qualify for disabled adult child benefits under Social Security Disability Insurance once you are married.

Can I work and still receive disabled adult child benefits?

You can work, but your earnings must not exceed an amount that the Social Security Administration considers “gainful” for you to qualify for adult child disability benefits.

The amount changes every year.

If you have questions about your situation, give us a call. Nash Disability Law will evaluate your case for free.

Free Case Evaluation»

If I win my disabled adult child case, how much money will I receive?

If you are found eligible for Social Security Disability Insurance benefits (SSDI) as a disabled adult child, the amount you will receive each month is calculated based on your parents’ lifetime earnings, which differ for every individual.

How much does it cost to hire an attorney for my disability case? What if I can’t afford it?

Federal law regulates attorneys’ fees in disabled adult child benefits cases. So, virtually every disability lawyer works on the same fee basis. The lawyer’s fee is 25% of the past due disability benefits you get, up to the statutory maximum.

There is no fee up front, and no fee unless you win.

At Nash Disability Law, we’ll evaluate your case for free.

Free Case Evaluation»

How long does it take to obtain my disabled adult child benefits once a claim is filed?

It can take approximately six months to receive a decision on your disabled adult child initial application and another six months on reconsideration.

If your application is denied, it can take an additional year and a half to obtain a decision as your claim works its way through the appeals process. As of early 2017, Social Security has a backlog of one million claims at the hearing level.

While Social Security used to have a focus on paying valid claims at the hearing level sooner, political pressure in recent years has caused it to put a magnifying glass on even the most obvious cases.

Who decides if I qualify for benefits as a disabled adult child?

After your disabled adult child claim is filed, the case is sent to a disability examiner in the Social Security system. The examiner makes the initial decision on the claim.

Where is Nash Disability Law located? Do you offer telephone appointments for disabled adult child claims?

We have three offices located throughout the Chicago area. We also offer telephone appointments. We encourage you to contact us.

8 S. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60603
(312) 443-0900

Palos Hills
10704 S. Roberts Rd.
Palos Hills, IL 60465
(708) 857-2244

1845 Grandstand Pl.
Elgin, IL 60123
(847) 488-0900


What can’t a lawyer do for me?

No lawyer can push around the federal government or change the law to your benefit. An experienced lawyer, like the disability lawyers at Nash Disability Law, can make the Social Security system work for you and can make the difference between winning and losing your case.

Will I receive medical insurance if my disabled adult child claim is approved?

If you’re awarded Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits as a disabled adult child, you likely will be eligible for Medicare coverage after a waiting period of 29 full months from the date you are found disabled.

Learn More»

I’m interested in talking with Nash Disability Law about my disabled adult child claim. What should I do next?

Call Nash Disability Law today!
Whether you’ve already begun the application process or are still thinking of applying, Nash Disability Law wants to help you. Our staff is happy to discuss the details of your disability claim no matter what stage of the process you are in. We encourage you to contact us.

Chicago: (312) 443-0900
Palos Hills: (708) 857-2244
Elgin: (847) 488-0900

Or, if you’d prefer, submit your contact info and we will follow up with you. Simply click here to fill out the contact us form, and someone from our offices will contact you.

Why do I need a lawyer to help me with my disabled adult child claim, and why should I hire Nash Disability Law?

Social Security statistics have shown that claimants who are represented by lawyers win more often than those who are not represented. Your best chance of winning your case against the government is to be represented by a lawyer. Contact the experienced lawyers at Nash Disability Law today!

Get Help Today!»

Social Security has many written and unwritten rules, and our experienced attorneys deal with them and the people who apply them every day. An attorney has a law degree with training in complex legal matters. An attorney is trained in preparing and presenting evidence, cross- examining witnesses and writing about your case. A non-attorney advocate does not have a law degree and is not trained in complex legal matters.

When should I contact an attorney about representation? Should I wait until my hearing is scheduled?

Contact an attorney as soon as possible.

Don’t wait until your hearing is scheduled. It may be too late for an attorney to gather the proper evidence and medical history to make your case properly if you wait until your hearing is scheduled.

Contact Nash Disability Law today!

I have a mental illness. Am I eligible for Social Security Disability benefits for my disabled adult child claim?

Yes, mental illness is frequently used as a basis for getting disabled adult child benefits.
Unfortunately, it’s still common for members of the public, or even family members, to fail to understand this issue.

At Nash Disability Law, we have a long history of understanding how the nuances and misimpressions associated with this issue affect people’s ability to obtain and maintain employment.

The law firm has been very active for many years in advocating for the rights of those affected by mental illness, including important issues of access to meaningful care without stigma.