Disability Benefit Recipients: Remember to Report Your Wages

December 13, 2019

If you are a Social Security disability beneficiary and receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits, or both, and you are working—even if it is just part time—you are required to report your gross wages to the Social Security Administration (SSA) on a monthly basis. The SSA says: “You should consistently report wages during the first six days of the month to help prevent overpayments and underpayments.” If you receive an overpayment, you will likely have to repay those benefits to Social Security.

Reporting methods differ depending on the type of benefit you receive.

For SSI, the easiest methods for reporting your wages are either by phone using the SSA’s automated phone system at 866-772-0953, or by using Social Security’s SSI Mobile Wage Reporting App. You can download this free app from the Apple App Store (for iPhone users) or Google Play (for Android phone users). Before you can use the app, you must notify SSA of your new employer so they can add them into their system. If you opt not to use the phone or mobile app, then you must mail, fax, or take your paystubs to your local SSA office.

For SSDI, you can report your earnings each month through a my Social Security website account. To create a new account, or to access a current account, visit www.ssa.gov/myaccount. When you first report using a my Social Security account, you must have the Employer’s Identification Number (EIN). The EIN may appear on paystubs and W-2 forms, or you may need to ask your employer for it. If you are not able to take advantage of the my Social Security website, you must mail, fax, or take your paystubs to your local SSA office. It is a good idea to set an advance appointment with your SSA office, if possible.

Here are few additional things you need to know about wage reporting:

  • If you have more than one job, report your wages from each and every job.
  • Report each job separately if you are reporting your wages online.
  • SSA is required by law to provide you with a receipt regardless of how you report. If you do not get one, ask for it.
  • Write your Social Security number on each of your paystubs if you are taking, mailing, or faxing them to an SSA office. Make copies of your paystubs and keep the copies in a secure place.
  • If you are receiving both SSI and SSDI benefits, you must report your earnings separately to your SSI and SSDI claims representatives.
  • If you are reporting self-employment, you will need to contact SSA at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 800-325-0778)
  • Regardless of the method you choose to report wages, you can sign up online to receive a monthly e-mail or text message reminding you to report your wages.